Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blood Angels custom dice!

After making some custom Blood Angels magnets for my car, I also went ahead and made some custom dice to use when I play my Blood Angels army.   I chose Chessex Dice because I was familiar with them and while their site SERIOUSLY needs a redesign (and a shopping cart system!!!), it was the best option out there.   I was really happy with the results, take a look for yourself:


























With shipping (and a velvet dice bag) 20 custom dice cost me around $30.   Not too bad.   I played a practice 2500pt Ard Boyz game with my friend Kung Fu Dave and his Tyranids and they served me well.   They didn't roll like weighted dice or anything but they didn't come up all ones either ;).


























Some details about the dice.  They are "bigger" dice or about 16mm each, not huge but not the small dice that Chessex sells in their "dice blocks" you see at most stores.  It was basically about $1 each for the dice.  As I stated above, Chessex doesn't have a shopping cart system of any sort so I had to email them through their order email on their site.  Here is a link to the custom dice page:

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Custom_Dice_Home.htm

I got a prompt response from Joseph Kogin.   I requested what options I had for for red dice and here is what he responded with:

"Currently, I have the following "Red" dice available with the "6" face
customizable:
 
Opaque Red/white
Signature Gemini Blue-Red/White
Signature Gemini Purple-Red/gold
Signature Scarab Scarlet/gold
Signature Velvet Black/red
Signature Vortex Burgundy/gold
 
Most of these colors are only partially red or have red print on them
as in the case of the Velvet Black/red color.  The color after the "/"
is the color of the print on the non-custom faces of the dice.
 
I can accept most standard formats and can definitely use .AI, PSD or
.PDF format files if you want to leave your art in its native format.
Images that can be rendered in a one-color format (2 bit) would be
best for this process.  There is not need for your to scale the image
to size.  Full resolution images will generally make for better
engravings.  If you send pixel art as opposed to vectored images,
please send it in a relatively high resolution.  300 DPI would be
great, though simpler designs can be rendered at lower resolutions."


I used Adobe Illustrator to trace a scan of the Blood Angels symbol from a Space Marine decal sheet.   If you make your own make sure its one color and try not to make lines that are too thin, they may not show up too well when its cut out of the dice face.  Here is a 300dpi jpeg of that Blood Angels symbol for anyone who wants to use it to make their own dice (click on image to download the print quality version):


No comments:

Post a Comment